As promised, here is the scalloped potatoes recipe that I put together the other night. The leftovers were amazing yesterday!
Southern Scalloped Potatoes:
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons of butter
1/4 cup flour
1/2 half & half (trust me you won’t miss cream!)
3/4 cup chicken stock
3-5 large or medium Yukon gold potatoes
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
a pinch/dash/tablespoon of nutmeg, onion powder, garlic
I had some left over fresh parsley to top it off but there’s really no need for it.
- Make your rue by melting the butter in a sauce pan or pot.
- Add the flour, nutmeg, garlic, and onion powder and whisk until the two are completely incorporated.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Continue to whisk and add the half & half and chicken stock slowly.
- Let it simmer on low until it thickens slightly.
- Add the sour cream and whisk.
- Once incorporated, add 1/3 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and whisk until slightly thick. If you think it will not be enough, add a little more chicken stock as needed.
Now you have the rue! Let’s build the scalloped potatoes.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a 9×9 Pyrex dish or a round 8×8 glass baking dish, spray with nonstick spray (learned this the hard way!)
- Clean and peel your potatoes then slice then 1/4 inch thick or thinner, width wide (making circles).
- Cover the bottom of the dish then layer with the rue you made, and shredded cheese (separately).
- Do this at least 3 times or until the potatoes and rue have run out.
- Top the mixture with shredded cheese, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.